Artisan Baker - Modern Apprenticeship - 14307
1 October 2018
Permanent after trial
Modern Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage for the first
At the Breadwinner we're passionate about baking. Since
1973 our master craftsmen bakers have been baking in Edinburgh -
kneading and shaping dough by hand. We prefer to use
traditional, simple methods and allow time to naturally enhance our
products, rather than adding anything that would change the quality
or flavour of our breads. We're proud of our heritage - and work
hard to supply breads, cakes and pastries that are locally made,
freshly baked and full of flavour.
You will be working in a small team within a busy wholesale
artisan bakery at South Gyle.
What might a day in this job look like?
- Learn and apply food hygiene and safety practices, personal
hygiene, equipment and work place cleaning, stock rotation systems,
and the systematic and preventative approach of Hazard Analysis and
Critical Control Point (HACCP) in food production process.
- Learn about the main ingredients used in baking and how to use
and store them.
- Weigh ingredients according to recipes and calculate the
amounts needed for a given yield (output).
- Follow recipes and processes for making baked goods.
- Use and clean specialised machinery (mixers, dough breaker,
oven etc) after each use as required.
- Use specialist tools (rolling pin, piping bags etc) for
- Understand and conduct proper fermentation for yeasted
- Hand divide, shape breads and buns and baking goods.
- General cleaning of equipment and work place area as
- Reflective practice on all aspects of the job, while constantly
striving to achieve high quality and regularity of products.
What will I learn?
You will complete a 3-4 year apprenticeship which will include
practical on the job training working closely with some of the best
bakers in Scotland. This training will be supplemented by SQA
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
Qualifications aren't important - we are looking for someone who
will be dedicated to learning the skills required to become a fully
We are looking for a motivated young person with a passion for
bread and baking who strives to achieve high standards and pays
attention to detail.
You should have good communication and problem solving skills,
be numerate, hardworking, organised and enjoy working in a
If you are successful in the first round of interviews, you may
be invited along to spend some time in the bakery to see what
working there would really be like.
This position will close when a suitable candidate has been