Accounts Assistant - Modern Apprenticeship - 16484
7 November 2018
£7,500 per annum
Haines Watts Chartered Accountants Edinburgh has been providing
advice to businesses in Scotland for almost 20 years. We provide a
comprehensive financial advisory service that is delivered in a
personal, friendly manner. Being part of Haines Watts, with over 60
offices around the UK and local offices in Edinburgh, Kirkcaldy and
Glasgow, we offer local expertise backed by the resources of a
Working for this internationally acclaimed accountancy firm in
Edinburgh, your job role will be varied. An apprentice within the
team will need to be structured, organised and have a flair for
work of a technical nature. The role requires someone who has the
ability to concentrate and gather facts and information to perform
a variety of assignments.
We welcome and encourage apprenticeship applications from groups
currently under-represented including individuals from an ethic
minority, disability or care leaver background. PeoplePlus operate
a fair and open competition on our selection process based on
What might a day in this job look like?
Your duties will include:
- Working as part of a team, portraying a professional image at
all times, and assisting with ad-hoc work in the office as
- Understanding the objectives of the technical process,
completing processes as designed, demonstrating competent use of
relevant systems, succinctly summarising results and drawing
- Gaining a good understanding of each client worked
- Agreeing assignment objectives and roles with line manager (or
the person responsible for the job) before starting every
job. Proactively obtaining feedback, both verbal and written,
taking on board constructive comments and acting upon them.
Demonstrating resilience and enthusiasm to learn.
- Achieving good passes with all professional and advanced
- Attending internal and external training courses as required,
being participative and professional throughout, taking away and
implementing new knowledge.
- Reviewing workload going forward, taking ownership of own work,
making arrangements ahead of time, identifying periods of quiet
time and highlighting to line manager.
- Communicating regularly with the senior or manager on the
progress and findings during a job, working to a set time budget,
meeting deadlines, asking appropriate questions to aid
- Establishing a good level of rapport with the team and clients
quickly and easily.
- Liaising with colleagues confidently and
- Preparing accurate work using relevant systems, includes
completion of disclosure checklists, being aware of the accounting
and disclosure requirements contained in companies' legislation and
- Making efficient use of all relevant IT systems, searching out
errors, rectifying omissions, actively researching technical
requirements and consistently delivering to a high
- Undertaking any other tasks as required.
What will I learn?
- The AAT Accounting Qualification will provide you with
practical accounting and financial knowledge and skills, while also
developing a grasp of business. Achieving the qualification will
give you a firm grounding in accounting. It is made up of three
levels and each one is a qualification in its own right.
- The Level 2 Certificate in Accounting is the first level of the
qualification and is suitable for people new to finance or looking
to brush up on their foundation knowledge and skills. It covers a
range of basic accounting practices and techniques, from costing
and double-entry bookkeeping to computerised accounting.
- When you have successfully completed your apprenticeship, you
may be given the opportunity to continue in your role or progress
onto an alternative support role within the company where you will
receive full training and support.
- All of your training will be provided by PeoplePlus, the
nation's largest provider of apprenticeships. We have helped lots
of people like you develop their skills and gain experience in
their chosen field. Every year we find work for and train over
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
- A minimum of 5 National 4s including Maths and
- Be proactive and energetic in every task undertaken.
- Seeks direction from others when appropriate, achieves
objectives, cope well with pressure and shows genuine
- Exceeds expectations and drives own career.
- Remain confident when dealing with negative situations and
- Is self-aware of development areas.
- Adopts calm and assured approach, makes time for people, shares
- Able to make the right decision quickly, displaying confidence
in their decisions with accurate/correct justification.
- Being able to juggle a number of jobs, whilst demonstrating
excellent time management skills to ensure all deadlines and
expectations are met.
- Consider problems as a challenge, remaining positive regardless
- Communicates effectively and efficiently
- Shares knowledge, shares praise and gives others credit, always
remains positive regardless of setbacks, approaches every task with
the same level of enthusiasm and care.
- Retains a professional manner, reflects on difficult situations
and stands back from people and remains unemotional in order to
- Considers problems as a challenge.
- Adopts a calm approach and makes time for people.
- Takes ownership for managing own development, seeks extra
responsibility, striving to always go the extra mile, preparing
well ahead of appraisal meetings.
- Complete work in a timely and thorough manner.
- Has an eye for detail, being consistent in approach,
incorporating checks to ensure accuracy, standing back from the
Please note this employer is based in the EH4 area; please
ensure that you are able to reliably travel to this area before
making an application.
Friday 23 November.