Trainee Laboratory Support Technician – Modern Apprenticeship - 17261
13 May 2019
Fixed Term - 24 months
£16,460 per annum
To maintain our reputation as one of the world's leading
universities, we recruit the best people to a variety of support,
professional and academic roles each year. We offer an exciting,
positive, creative, challenging and rewarding place to work. We
give you support, nurture your talent, develop and reward success
and integrate professional and personal career goals, as well as
give your career the benefit of a great and distinguished
reputation. In addition, our employees benefit from a competitive
reward package and a wide range of staff benefits.
Are you interested in science and would like to gain a
qualification while earning a salary? Do you want to secure a
job for after the summer? Then the University's Modern Apprentice
programme may be the right opportunity for you.
The School of Biological Sciences carries out a wide and diverse
range of research and teaching in Life Sciences. We have a number
of technical teams to support this work which includes media
production, wash up and work shop services, plant sciences,
undergraduate teaching, health and safety, general building and
We envisage that our Modern Apprentice would spend blocks of
time in each Technical Area, supervised by the relevant
manager. This is an exciting opportunity to get involved in
different tasks and working environments. The work will be
predominantly laboratory-based but with periods of outdoor work and
assisting with transportation of goods. There will be some periods
of time spent observing processes in more specialist technical
services areas such as advanced microscopy and flow cytometry. All
our laboratories and facilities are based at the King's Buildings
What might a day in this job look like?
- Checking communal equipment and replenishing laboratory
- Preparing areas for students, clearing away after classes
- Preparing simple solutions and apparatus
- Collection, segregation and proper handling of waste and
- General maintenance of communal equipment e.g.
- Developing basic laboratory skills
- Record keeping and archiving.
What will I learn?
- You will work towards an SVQ Level 3 in Laboratory and
Associated Technical Activities (Life Science) (SCQF Level 7)
through a combination of work-based vocational training and block
day-release to Fife College based at the Livingston Campus.
- Basic laboratory skills e.g. making up solutions, aseptic
technique, equipment maintenance
- Communication and organisational skills.
- Developing skills in problem solving and working
- Basic IT skills for recording, processing and reporting
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
- At least two qualifications in a science subject at Higher
Level (SCQF Level 6) and no fewer than three National 5
qualifications with evidence of excellent skills in numeracy and
- Educational attainment and interest in relevant science
subjects. Having a strong interest in applied science,
- Self-motivated, willing to learn and committed to a future
career in Life Sciences
- A willingness to participate in a Modern Apprentice programme
and the self-study required to complete the qualification.
- Modern Apprenticeships are open to people of any age, in this
instance funding for training is available to those aged
Please note that as this post is a Modern Apprenticeship we will
not be able to progress applications from those candidates with
prior experience of lab management or in possession of a higher
qualification in a relevant subject.
1 pm on Sunday 9 June.